GENERAL SUMMARY: A Reporter assists in the production of the newspaper that serves the residents and businesses the local area. The reporter writes stories and takes photos for each publication and assists the editor with proofing pages, maintaining the editorial calendar, updating website and contributing to social media accounts. The reporter works with sources to report stories, writes stories in accordance with the publications deadlines and, as a journalist and KPC Media Group Inc. employee, strives for accuracy and upholds himself or her herself to the values of the profession.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Reports and writes stories for the newspaper and the website.
- Compiles a weekly budget of story ideas and is ready to present ideas for stories at regular meetings.
- Develops and maintains sources for assigned beats.
- Meets deadlines for the newspaper website.
- Knows and follows AP and KPC Media style.
- Edits and prepares submitted material for publication.
- Ensures that stories are reported accurately and fairly.
- Takes photos to accompany stories when needed.
- Proofreads pages prior to publication.
- Represents KPC to sources and the public in a professional manner.
- Takes part in news-sharing arrangements with media partners as needed.
- Works with other KPC employees in a collaborative, respectful fashion.
- Assists with maintenance of publication's social media accounts and website.
- Other duties as assigned. Measures of Improvement Determine when annual goals and objectives are set with supervisor. Job Specifications · Previous experience as a reporter or writer at a newspaper or publication.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism/communications or equivalent experience.
- Effective communication skills (written and verbal).
- Knowledge of editorial and creative software; beginning to intermediate familiarity with other graphic- design tools a plus.
- Working knowledge and application of social media tools such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. as well as submission of stories in an online format via KPC affiliated websites. Working Conditions Work is primarily in an office environment, however, frequent travel to events to gather information for stories is required. Travel required.